Friday, June 29, 2012

Chapter Seven: Beautiful Tan Lines


Romans 10

Brethren, my heart’s desire and my prayer to God for them is for their salvation. For I testify about them that they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with knowledge. For not knowing about God’s righteousness and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God…

The shadows across the tops of my feet are deepening. I am growing accustomed to the walks beneath the intense Zambian sun which casts its shadow upon my skin a little more thoroughly with every passing day. With every imprint in the red, dusty road, it excites me to remember that God thinks my feet are beautiful, for it indeed is good news that they carry.

On a typical day, Kolezi wakes up in his Copperbelt University residence, alongside three other young men who all share two twin mattresses in one room. Due to a lack of housing infrastructure on and around campus, this arrangement is common and still four occupants short of the worst case scenario. He is an undergraduate student in business administration, hailing from the capital city. At the age of thirteen, Kolezi lost his mother to pneumonia, becoming an orphan. He finished his exams under the supervision of his grandparents before moving in with his uncle. Devastated and consequently separated from his younger brother, Kolezi needed purpose and hope. Shortly thereafter, he found it; the young man met Jesus.

Nine years later, Kolezi entered into the company of a group of men led by Chapo Masona. This group met under the name of The Navigators to study the Bible and discuss its implications for life. Chapo had arrived a few months prior to begin a ministry at Copperbelt University of training men and women to be noble and influential Christians. Since then, recruits like Kolezi and his three roommates had agreed to meet with Chapo to learn what the Scriptures say about their faith. On one particular night, Kolezi and his roommates welcomed some new and excited faces into their lives.

Meeting new friends: Bryce, Evans, Kolezi, Ephraim, and Me in A206
Bryce and I knocked on the door of A206, the first on a list of Navigators’ residences. Wilfred, one of Kolezi’s roommates welcomed the fair-skinned strangers with an air of intrigue. Within the hour, Bryce and I were exploring the campus alongside our new companions. We shared richly in the ways of life, academics, family, and faith. Life on campus has its similarities to the life I knew at Purdue. As I learn about the differences, I also look forward to the depths we may share together in the gospel. These steps down to the East Gate of Copperbelt University have also been a blessing to me.