Friday, July 6, 2012

Chapter Eight: One Day at a Time


Isaiah 55

For you will go out with joy and be led forth with peace;
The mountains and the hills will break forth into shouts of joy before you,
And all the trees of the field will clap their hands.
Instead of the thorn bush the cypress will come up,
And instead of the nettle the myrtle will come up,
And it will be a memorial to the LORD,
For an everlasting sign which will not be cut off.

The United States has been a sovereign and independent nation for 236 years and one day. Of that, I have been alive for the last 24 years and one day, and of this life, I have commemorated this anniversary on foreign soil at least five times, away from the house through indeterminately more. I am not trying to avoid my family, but circumstances have sometimes suggested it. I am living according to the call of the Gospel, and it has led me far from home. The Fourth of July is not celebrated here, except by those who are in the company of Americans and those who recognize the birth of individuals. This week, a day of merriment derived from both exceptions.

The Zambia Navigators National Conference brought together a community of Believers, to Chreso University somewhere beyond the city limits of Lusaka. One year ago, these three days represented some of the most exciting and exhausting moments in my memory. After five hours on the road from Kitwe, I hoped for nothing more than a refreshing time among other Navigators. I am thankful for the members of the team who took on responsibilities I did not enjoy last year like registration. The weekend provided me with new responsibilities like workshop facilitating and handout printing. Of course, the highlight of my time was hearing Eddie Broussard speak on the issue of renewing our commitment to the lordship of Christ and to the community. He challenged me to grow in my trust in Christ the Lord, something which is easy for me to say and difficult to do. Eddie declared Christ’s lordship is the absolute authority of the Kingdom of Heaven, the only unshakeable kingdom.

Entering into the most wearing stretch of this adventure, dependence on Christ and fellowship become not only good, but necessary for sustaining the energy I hope to pour into Copperbelt University. Bryce has been increasingly feeling the distance from home with each day. It has challenged him in his faith and driven him frequently into prayer. Indeed, it is in prayer where we often meet. This is what brothers in Christ do. In direness and desperation, we turn to God.

The promises found in Isaiah have become a banner for my time here. They speak of the need and providence of life and intimacy. I rest on these promises. They remind of me of what is true and what is proven. Though exhausted, I awoke the morning after an especially festive night with a new wind in my lungs (though my voice, two weeks gone, has yet to be recovered).

Fourth of July Party
Richard Kabuswe had been with us that night. After ten months, the captain of the University of Zambia Pacers basketball team reconnected with me. Since then, I have heard frequently from Aaron and his time on the basketball club of Richard’s initiative in partnering with us as we seek to reach the team with the Gospel. The first Bible study since July 2011 took place on the night of the Fourth, and it went swimmingly. Richard stayed comfortably with us through the Fourth of the July Party, like he had known us his entire life. Perhaps, time does not truly matter when it comes to trust and fellowship. It was good to see him one more time before I returned to Kitwe.