Thursday, July 19, 2012

Chapter Ten: Witnesses


Acts 1

…you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth…

I cannot hope to measure the impact of my team in the land of the Chipolopolo. I lack the insight and the objectivity to tell you what will come of the work I leave behind at the end of the month. I can only pray and trust that the same Spirit, who gives me understanding and permits me to teach on matters I am far too naïve to teach, will continue to do for our new friends as has been done for me.

Evans is one of Kolezi’s roommates in A206. I casually address him as “Governor”. Currently a third year student in the School of Banking and Finances, he aspires to one day be a governor for the Bank of Zambia. The young man is ambitious, but he seems to have room to grow in the area of time management. Unfortunately, I fall short of the distinction of “pacesetter” in that department. Nonetheless, he is a willing and effective learner, and his potential is great, for what it is worth.

He and Kolezi shared two afternoons with me at the conclusion of the last week. The two provided their usual, dependable attention as I walked them through the Bible’s teachings on living a Christ-centered life, and the tools and vision for sharing their hope with others. The latter yielded unexpected results when a follower of the Jehovah’s Witness faith joined minutes into our time together, intent on steering my presentation of the Gospel towards a hidden objective. Two hours would pass before he would confess his agenda. The discussion would have been a complete loss if I had not witnessed an encouraging quality in the two men I had come to see. They were firm in their faith, though not in ignorance. Their knowledge was well founded, and their logical refutations were sound. It is good to see that I do not know these men as well as I had initially believed.

The next morning, Evans and Kolezi were gone. Bryce and I are working around the vacuum the university’s term break has created on campus. The week-long hiatus offers several advantages to building relationships with the remaining students, though we are obviously coping with the academic exodus. Bryce has capitalized on the availability of one student Gerald, who has responded with immense eagerness and humility. Their relationship continues to mutually foster deep spiritual growth as they learn about new roles in the ministry of reconciliation – Bryce as a mentor, and Gerald as a disciple maker.

Bryce and Gerald sharing their last week together
I delight to see Bryce mature as a man of God, and the process has been swift since our settlement in Kitwe. Almost two years ago, Bryce moved onto campus at Purdue University as a first year student in engineering. He quickly found old friends and assembled with a small group of men to read from the Bible. It was not Bryce, but one of his friends in the group that I met first. However, my earliest memories of him were of a steady and purposeful young man who was prepared to gain much more than a mere Bachelor’s Degree through his time at Purdue. I often found him reading and reflecting on life issues, and I coveted the opportunity to walk alongside him.

When we moved from Lusaka to Kitwe shy of a month ago, the opportunity seemed like a dream come true. Astonishingly, our time together has exceeded my expectations, and I find that I am realizing ideals of true Christian community I thought were unlikely in this era of media, entertainment, and social etiquette. In short, the Bible has been living and active at all hours of the day, and we are challenging each other towards Christian maturity in biblical ways.

Reflections by candlelight - A blessing of the occasional power cuts.
Tonight, Bryce sleeps on campus with the students. The idea and the initiative were his. As it has always been, his ministry here in Kitwe is being led by the Spirit. He has only two days to give to Gerald before we conclude and hand over our ministry at Copperbelt University. My little brother, friend, and fellow laborer Bryce Dzirbik has grown up.