Thursday, June 30, 2011

Teams, Tents, and the Truth

Friends,

Sometimes, initiating a friendship with a Christian, especially in the context of Christian ministry, can become merely the norm. Perhaps, it is hard to appreciate the unifying power of the Holy Spirit in each of our hearts when it appears that Christian social and cultural influences are the primary facilitators. I was thus reminded of the truly unique dynamic of the community of Believers when I went to the UNZA main campus one evening. My intention was to find some gym time to see if Abel was bluffing about his basketball skills. We were able to get into the gym despite the campus being closed thanks to a student, Vernon (aka Big Vern), whom Abel has been discipling. When we arrived, we were surprised to find that the UNZA Pacers school team was still on the court. Abel fled to the weight room, intimidated by his smooth dribbling countrymen. However, they invited me to join them. To be clear, I am not a good basketball player, as much as I enjoy poking fun at Abel, but I saw a great opportunity to meet some guys and have some fun! While resting on the bench after a couple of games, I engaged in conversation with one of the student athletes, Richard (aka Controll). I was surprised to hear him share of his frustrations regarding the team, and his struggles with being an older leader among younger guys. He desired to be competitive, but not as individuals; he wanted the team to learn to work together and appreciate one another, to be the national champions that their reputation suggests. Controll had invested time, energy, and money into his teammates and the program, and he was beginning to lose hope for both. Surprise number two: Controll walked me back to where I was living and hung out at the Nav office! It was then that I learned about his genuine faith in Christ. Like many Zambians, he was brought up by Christians parents. But unlike many Zambians, he eventually took it to heart and made faith his own. We had a good time sharing life and figuring out how to move forward with his dilemma. Pray for this story to continue!

The ZamFam has made a lot of progress with cleaning out and reorganizing the office storage room. John has been leading and coordinating the project, and has done an amazing job. The ZamNavs love to go camping, and they have a chaotic assortment of tents. Unfortunately, these tents have been thoroughly "loved", and our efforts are much like assembling a three-dimensional jigsaw puzzle with missing pieces. Thankfully, we succeeded in restoring five tents and a gazebo!

My time since last weekend has mainly been invested in studying and preparing for Nav Forum at Ridgeway, where I spoke last night on "the Truth and Sufficiency of the Scriptures for the Whole of Life". I thought it was a mouthful, too, and an even bigger mindful. The experience has reminded me of my dependance upon God and the Holy Spirit in my ministry. Examining the Scriptures and recalling its many impacts on my life has bolstered my convictions and confidence in the gospel of Jesus Christ. Everyone can see that the Bible and the life of Jesus have shaped mankind, but knowing Jesus personally as I plunge into the depths of the Scriptures is nothing short of a life-giving miracle, the work of God for the salvation of the spiritually blind, of whom I once belonged.

"The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one; I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me."
~ John 17:22-23

Please continue praying for the ZamNavs National Conference taking please this weekend. It will be a spectacular gathering of men and women who are seeking God. Pray especially for students struggling to attend due to financial constraints, for workshop and seminar leaders, and for our speaker.

By His Grace,
Jon Chen