Monday, June 4, 2012

Chapter Two: Humility in the Unknown

Philippians 2
          "...Have this mind among yourselves, that which is yours in Christ Jesus..." 

Over two days had passed like a hurricane, and I feel about as disoriented as I might be sailing through a storm. Nevertheless, I have arrived safely in more or less one piece, excluding the 150 pounds of luggage. The smell of burning brush and diesel exhaust, the endless barrage of wireless provider advertisements, the British-inspired steering wheel on the right and traffic on the left, and the warm hospitality of Zambian friends; all of it brought back a wave of nostalgia I had, to a degree, allowed to escape my mind while I was in the U.S.

The drive from the airport to the homes of eager hosts proved a challenge for me to keep my mouth shut. Sure, the things I have experienced may be useful for my teammates in some ways. But lest I forget, I must hold onto the fact that I have been away for ten long months, and have only been here cumulatively for two months before that. Reality check. Last I remember, I only know a handful of phrases in Nyanja. Reality check. I still have no idea what blessings and challenges God has in store for me in the coming weeks.

Thus, I brace for the days ahead. I find myself exhausted and restless, simultaneously wanting to trust God and wanting to know the details for how the "script" plays out. After waking partway through the night, I am surely learning about the former, learning to wait on the latter. Jet lag provides an excellent excuse to pray and to remember many things. One thing is certain: I am going to try to make this one count for every second I have in this blessed nation. Reality check. It may be a while before the opportunity to return to Zambia again arises, and so this adventure kicks into second gear. Up next: one week of dusting off some friendships in Lusaka.