Monday, June 11, 2012

Chapter Four: Mweba Kulu


And when I think that God, His Son not sparing,
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin:
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee;
Mweba kulu, how great Thou art!


Staring at the Bemba adaptation of otherwise familiar lyrics, I thought about the impact of the Gospel as witnessed through parallel experiences across the world on Sunday morning. In fact, all across the world, men and women are singing these lyrics in whatever tongue is comfortable, and praying that the gospel of Jesus Christ would reach the ends of the earth. A teammate had planted a sprouting seed in my mind, one which continues to seek ways to sink its roots deeper. The obvious conclusion, as I stewed in the question, is that the ends of the earth have not yet been reached, that several peoples have remained elusive to the news of God’s grace. However, men and women have crossed every longitude and latitude in the name of Christ. If not a geographic objective, what then is the end of the earth?

The team rests after joining the Pacers, the University of Zambia Pacers that is, for a pickup game of basketball. They are young, energetic men who, before my first engagement, I considered the end of the earth. The reunion proved warm, and the new relationships we formed tonight seem promising. We rest in anticipation of the next adventure. Eight hours and counting, the ends of the earth await.