Sunday, July 24, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake (Just Kidding)

Friends,

The excitement of the last few days has come and begun to subside as the reality of our imminent departure grows heavier with each farewell. However, I am confident in the purposefulness of the remaining time the ZamFam has here. Just as our plane steadily builds speed as it rolls down the runway, I believe our ministry among Zambians has steadily gained momentum. It is my hope that, as our plane lifts off the tarmac, it will be equally true that the fruits of our labor take flight by the time we reach the end of our seven week runway. We must trust that the Spirit will provide lift to their wings.

Metaphor aside, orientation week concluded at a much slower pace than it began, but the relationships which developed are dear to me. Phinias and Jonas are incoming student at UNZA who have been visiting the tent and inviting me into conversation. They are sincere in their faith, ambitious in their vision, and humble in receiving counsel. I give God glory and thanks for the things I have witnessed in our time at UNZA this week. Pray for the students we have met and the students to whom the Navigators of UNZA will continue to reach out in the coming week.

"But just as you abound in everything, in faith and utterance and knowledge and in all earnestness and in the love we inspired in you, see that you abound in this gracious work also."
~  2 Corinthians 8:7

Last night, the Scripture Union Fellowship of David Kaunda Secondary Boarding School invited our students at Ridgeway and I to introduce The Navigators and to present the gospel. To my astonishment, the room was packed! Over two hundred students squeezed into rows of benches in a dimly lit room to hear our message. Several students at this school for the gifted have gone on to join The Navigators, including our very own Gershom. I sensed they attended without knowing what would be shared and left hungry for more of the saddest and most triumphant narrative ever lived. I had been praying for the salvation of five students, but now that I have seen them, I ask you to pray with me for fifteen.

Away from the campus, the ZamFam had the privilege of sending home a team from the States who have been laboring in Malawi and Zambia with YouthHope for the last seven weeks. One of the members of the team is a Navigators student at Purdue (Amy Schafermeyer). It was good to meet the team and share our experiences in southern Africa from the last couple of months.

This evening, the students and staff of the ZamNavs bid us farewell through sharing, eating, dancing, and gifting. I have shared my favorite image of the celebration. The impact of God's word upon their lives through our time together is an encouragement to me as I prepare to leave, entrusting the lives over which we have labored and poured our hearts, to God.

I have few details regarding this last prayer request. John has fallen ill with something that resembles Malaria. I have been informed that Malaria may require four days to recover. Please pray for his rest and recovery, even as we begin traveling back to the States.

By His Grace,
Jon Chen