Sunday, July 10, 2011

"Without Christ, Not One Step..."

Friends,

The ZamFam has returned from its adventures in Livingstone, Zambia, with many stories to tell. Before all is said, I am grateful to God for safe travels and the magnificence of His creations.

"Without Christ, not one step; with Him, anywhere!"
~ Dr. David Livingstone

Early Wednesday, the ZamFam, the GAPers, Nelson, and Okike departed from Lusaka down the Livingstone-Zimba Road south to Livingstone. The journey was long and tiring, but we made it safely. Strangely, our first meal in Livingstone, a land of wildlife parks and natural beauty, was at Debonairs Pizza. However, we would soon experience all that makes Livingstone so famous. Instead of describing what we saw (a task I could never imagine to perform successfully), I shall endure the upload of select highlights from our image collection (which sadly also do not fully capture the wonder of the works of His hands). I hope you enjoy them.

ZamFam Harnessed for Action

Bungee Jumping at the Victoria Falls Bridge
Cautiously Posing Next to the Rhinoceros
Bank of the Zambezi
Baboon and Baby
Bird Searching for Fish
Lazy Hippopotami
Dinner Tradition at the Pub & Grill
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls Bridge
Zebra & Impala
Giraffe, God's Gift to Some Friends of Mine

I am praying about spending the coming week reaching out to students and residents in the Copperbelt in northern Zambia. If the ZamFam ends up going, we will be preaching and initiating relationships for incoming staff, namely the Masonas to build and from which to revive a collegiate ministry at Cobberbelt University. It is also becoming increasingly clear how limited we are by the remaining weeks. We are still recovering from the busy week, but we are also eager to continue where we left off. My relationship with the UNZA basketball players continues to deepen, and Richard has responded well to thoughts of a team Bible discussion. We have decided that, if other players agree to invest time and a little money, I would acquire copies of John Eldredge's book Wild at Heart. The book made a significant impact in Richard's life, and he desires to see that transformation in his teammates. However, my time with the team may be limited in the coming weeks. Please pray for discernment and God's providence for this ministry. In my total insufficiency, God is totally sufficient!

On a brief note about my health, I am experiencing signs of physical fatigue. I have observed these signs before, and I hope my recovery will be swift. Please pray for healing and rest before the coming week commences.

By His Grace,
Jon Chen